History of the St. John OMFS Program
The oral and maxillofacial surgery program was established in 1969 in response to a request from St. John Macomb hospital, and the ADA commission approved the program in 1972. The program began as a 3-year certificate track accepting one resident a year and continued this way under the guidance of Dr. Charles E. Reaume (director 1975-1990) and Dr. William S. Bloom (director 1990-present). During this time, the program covered St. John Detroit Riverview Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Michigan, and St. John Macomb Hospital. The academic portion of the program was obtained at the University of Detroit Mercy and Wayne State Medical School.
In July of 2006, the St. John Health System Department of OMFS merged with the OMFS program from Henry Ford/Sinai Grace Hospitals creating the largest OMFS training program in Detroit. This new expanded program under the directorship of Dr. William Bloom has become a 6-year MD track program accepting three residents per year. The hospitals covered include St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital (Macomb and Oakland Centers), St. John Providence Hospital (Southfield & Novi), Sinai-Grace Hospital, William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak and the VA Medical Center.
The program utilizes three outpatient clinics: St. John Detroit Riverview Center, the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry and the VAMC. The residents receive their medical education at Wayne State University. Currently St. John Health System has an affiliation with the VAMC, which permits the program to accept two non-categorical intern positions fully accredited by the ADA. The program continues to be especially strong in orthognathic surgery, head and neck oncology, TMJ surgery, cleft lip and palate, cosmetic, and trauma.
- Monthly Oral Pathology Seminars
- Monthly Ambulatory Anesthesia Conferences
- Orthognathic Lecture Series
- Head and Neck Anatomy Lab
- Micro-vascular Surgical Training Course
- Annual Oral Mock Boards
- Annual Written OMSITE Exam
- Annual Cosmetic Fillers Course
- OMFS Boot-camp for Incoming Residents
- ACLS, PALS, ATLS
- Columbia 3rd World Cleft Lip/Palate mission trip
- Children’s Anesthesia (1 Month)
- PGY-5,6 residents attend OMFS review courses at Denver/LSU
- Chief Residents Attend AAOMS Annual Meeting